Tuesday, August 26, 2008

More Mission Memories...Sparked by my 11 year mission Reunion!

Here is a photo of my FAVORITE MISSION COMPANION> "Super Comp"...She was not at the reunion this past weekend, and I was so dissapointed, I was SO looking forward to seeing her again! What's the story behind "Super Comp"? Well, my original companion, Sorella Paul was already fluent in Italian when she arrived at the Missionary Training Center. Since there wasn't a need for her to stay the whole 2 months like the rest of us to learn the language before leaving for Italy, she was able to leave in just a couple of weeks from arriving. This left me without a companion and feeling pretty "alone". Out of our original "class" of 12, It was now just me and 6 Elders. I was even in a dorm room all by myself with three empty beds. Very lonely! After about a month I was moved into another room that had 3 other sister missionaries, but until then, the Elders made sure I was ok. One night I heard some commotion out in the hallway of our dorm. The Elders had made me this "companion" out of their clothes and bathroom paper towels. They had one of our teachers bring a wig, and then they made a tape recorder of their voices saying different things so I could actually have a "conversation" with my new companion. The sign on Super Comp said, " Now you will never be lonely again, Super Comp is here!". It was AWESOME. I love that memory.



Sorella Paul and me a couple of days before she left. November 1996

(yes, I was alone in the above story for Christmas and New Years!, but I had a great district of Elders who kept my spirits up during the holidays.)

THankfully Sorella Paul left right after Thanksgiving, so at least I had her for one of the holidays in the MTC! I hung out with other sister missionaries a lot though, and made a lot of good friends.

1 comment:

bellamichella said...

I didn't realize super comp took sorella paul's place. thats awesome. It was fun to see everybody wasn't it? Anyhow. Keep in touch Michelle