Tuesday, February 17, 2009

11 years of 12 roses...

This photo was taken by Joe right before Ben and I left for our Valentines date. The past Valentines makes it 11 years since Ben proposed to me, and gave me my 12 roses. You see, when we were dating, Ben would buy me roses all the time, but there were always only 11 roses. When I finally asked him about that he replied, "12 should be reserved for the girl you know you'll spend forever with" Well, I was only one rose away from being with this guy forever!!!
So, as time goes on, and I would get flowers, I would always count them...1..2..3,4,5, 6...7, 8....9, 10...11....where's that 12th, it's got to be here somewhere! Dang! only 11 again!
So, I was living in Nebraska going to college at the time Ben was living in Utah and he flew me out on Valentines weekend so we could be together. When he picked me up at the airport, he was waiting with a bouquet of roses. I tried to be candid while counting them as we were walking to the car... AGH! only 11??? Why the heck would he fly me all the way here and then only still give me 11??!!! So we get in his truck and start driving to his house. He passes me a box of heart candies, and says, "want some?" I say sure, and start just eating out the white and pink ones... Come to find out later, he had spent a lot of time opening a lot of boxes and picking out all the ones that said, "marry me"... and so the whole box of heart candies was all "marry me" hearts, and I didn't even notice, I just picked out my favorites and put the rest down on the seat!
Well, the next day was valentines day, and I really wasn't thinking he would actually try to propose to me on Valentines day! I mean, c'mon-- that's way to original... so, when he did- it caught me off gaurd!
We took a drive up in the mountains and got out to take a little stroll. When we got back to the truck, he reached unde the back seat and pulled out a rose, which happend to have a ring inside of it. He then offered me my 12th rose, and asked me to marry him. It was a great day, and I will always cherish this memory. I love you Ben. I will always be thankful I was the one who got all 12.

5 comments:

Rob and Mitzi said...

Erin what a funny story! I can totally see you eating all those candies and missing the little messages, probably because I would've done the same thing. AAAAH but 12 roses, that's awesome!

Brooke said...

I can't believe I didn't know that story.
It's great.

my blog joyinthejourneyofamom.blogspot.com

The Slider Family said...

What a sweet story! You guys are such a great couple!

Rebecca said...

Erin and Ben,
That was such a fun story. I didn't know the details to your proposal, Ben. You are so creative!
Love Ya!

Miss Sue said...

that is definetely an 'Ahhhhhh' moment