I literally shouted for joy and could not contain myself, or my emotions this morning, as I was listening to the first session of General Conference and the Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson was speaking about the growth of the church all over the world. He started to list 5 temples that will be starting construction soon, one of them being ROME ITALY!!! The tears just started flowing freely as I pictured in my mind all the Italian Members who I'm sure also shouted for joy when they heard the news this morning. This is a miracle, and the saints in Italy have been praying for the growth of the church to increase so they could have a temple. I know of so many faithful LDS Italian Saints who would travel the long distance to the Switzerland Temple and how they wished there was a temple closer for them. A temple in Italy means the church is growing, and the members are strong. I am so happy for them, I wept over this news because it was always part of my vision as a missionary in Italy to see the hearts of so many Italians softened and to see them accept the true Gospel of Jesus Christ.This picture is a photocopy of a painting that a missionary did that shows the vision we all had as missionaries. It was what kept us going. The hope that one day the people would accept the message and their lives would be changed and blessed forever because of it. The hope that one day there would be enough faithful members to benefit from a temple. The hope that the saints would have real Chapels and buildings to meet in instead of just little rented spaces in the shops and plazas. To see a Temple in anyplace is a symbol to me that there are many good and faithful LDS members. It just means so much to me to think that in some small way I might have helped the church grow in Italy to be able to be to this point. It's an answer to prayers and a miracle among the Italian members. I'm just so happy for them!
When I was at my mission reunion back in August, President Dibble told us the statistical updates about the church in Italy since we were all there in 1996/1997. It gave me goosebumps as he read how many branches and wards and stakes were there as compared to the few back in our day as missionaries. He then said, " I want you to listen very carefully during the next few General Conferences, because soon there WILL BE a temple in Italy... And when the day comes when it is completed, I will be there for the dedication and I would love to have a reunion there with all of you too!" I figure in about 2-4 year? the Temple will be finished. OH! It would be a dream to be able to go to the dedication or the open house they always have for the public for a few weeks before it is dedicated. Either way-- if I get to be there to tour it with the rest of the open public, or if I am able to go after it is dedicated and only worthy members of the church may enter , I would love to go.
Well, this is a long post, but I cannot refrain from writing about how thrilled I am about this. And how deeply grateful I am to know the Lord is opening so many door and hearts all over the world. With the five new temples that were announced, I believe this makes it 140 Temples dotted all over the world... So many faithful saints! All over the world. It strengthens me and moves me deeply to be a part of something so grand and majestic!
Anyone reading this who is not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I urge you to attend any public open house if you hear of any temples being built in your area. You must see for yourself the miracle and wonder of it all!

3 comments:
We shouted too! How exciting to have a new temple where you served as a missionary! I hope you do get to go see it. Conference was amazing! (love you beautiful pictures!)
Hi! What a good post. I never thought about a new temple meaning so much to people, other than to the people where it is being built. How exciting for you! Miss you!
Erin, I did the same thing when he announced the Rome temple! I am so excited about it. I would love to be there for the dedication. Who knows? Maybe we'll be there together. :)
Post a Comment