
You know, like the Pine Wood Derby, only with boats instead of cars...Yeah. Like that. Except with cars the boys can modify them to make them go faster, and apparantly, with these little boats there are regulations-- which the boys did not read about in the instructions that came with the kit. AHG! So, they had a good time racing their boats, even though they were disqualified-- I felt so bad for them, they were so dissapointed and so sad to have worked so hard and not be able to even compete in the races. ( Well, the were able to "pretend" compete, which I think just made it more confusing for the boys- since their boats won but they weren't given any awards for it...but they had fun "pretend" racing). The boys were both very upset that they were called "cheaters" by some of the other cub scouts that were there, and that was hard for me to deal with. They really took that part hard because they are honest boys and good boys, and would never cheat... They just weren't aware of the rules. It was a valuable lesson for them that night though, and from now on they will read all the instructions before they spend 10 hours working on their boats or cars. I was very proud of them for how mature they handled the situation...and how forgiving they were after being called cheaters by other kids. I'm also proud of the boys for working so hard on their boats, and enjoying making them. I suppose that's the important thing. I wouldn't have chosen to spend my ENTIRE day off of school on Veterans Day to work on it. I would have rather played and gone and done something fun. (In fact, I still wished that were the case! Because that's NOT how I wanted to spend my day!) I'm just glad that whole thing is over. I was having a way too emotional day to deal with all this!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment